Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing—Benjamin Franklin


Secondhand Habits

If you ever want to know all the strange quirky things that you do, have a child. It turns out that it starts as soon as three months. They start making faces and as a result, you start recognizing the bizarre things you do because you have the most effective little mirror image in the world with you all day long. You spend your day thinking to yourself, “Why is he doing… oh dear! I do that all the time, don’t I?”

The latest example:
            #1: Sniffing. Sniffing has always been my form of fake emotion. If I’m mock sad, or angry, or even happy, Bryce usually gets a sniff. Now Little has started sniffing. I, being the oblivious person that I am, had no idea where he could’ve picked that up until Bryce pointed out my little fake sniffing habit. Of course Little’s sniffing has turned into an entirely different habit now and he just sits there and sniffs away for fun, but still… it probably came originally from me.

            #2: Fake Laughing. Now, I’m not sure if this is directly from me or not, but all the same, Little has started fake laughing. When he thinks you are not paying attention to him or he wants something, he starts doing this little machine gun chuckle. Originally it was a cough, but now it has morphed into the fake laugh. The best part is that he knows it makes me laugh so he does it and I laugh, so he does it louder, so I laugh harder, and the cycle continues. (Hopefully someday I’ll be able to get this on film)

Most of them up to this point have been pretty funny, but it gives me new goals to work on constantly because now when I do things I think, “Would I want Little to pick this up?” And it’s not as though I have an excess of unspeakable habits to rid myself of, but there are so many things that I could do better.

3 comments:

Connie said...

Welcome to motherhood, Haley! The mirroring just continues until....well....forever. :) Thanks for sharing this adorable post! LOVE the video--so darling and hilarious and precious and wonderful and...well, you get the message. :)

Shelli Snyder said...

That was so funny, Eldon and I died laughing. My GOSH you guys. Seriously, he's a little Bryce ... with Haley mannerisms. :)

Connie said...

Dad and I simply CANNOT stop watching this!!! He is just too adorable for words!!!

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.